Garden Terrace is in the new downtown core of Kanata. The home opened in 2003 and was built to the newest design standards for Long Term Care Homes in Ontario. The home incorporates a courtyard design and captures the essence of home.
The main entrance of the building is decorated with a warm, wood trimmed lobby featuring a fireplace surrounded by two storeys of windows looking out onto a lush secured courtyard with outdoor seating, trees, shrubbery and assorted flower gardens. The interior layout of each neighbourhood incorporates a natural path that guides the wandering resident back to destinations and points of interest that will encourage social interaction and help maintain independence and purposeful mobility. The design incorporates extensive use of memory triggers to assist in way finding.
- 160 residents (40-2 bed basic accommodation 80 private rooms);
- Secured living areas for residents with special needs.
- Family dining and activity rooms
- Sunroom, family room, living room and access to outdoor terraces
- Secure home area for cognitively challenged
- Accredited by Accreditation Canada
- Committed to staff education
- Located within minutes of hospitals with acute care services
- Supportive Measures Specialist offering on-going support to staff and residents concerning the individualized care of residents with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia.
- Individualized care of residents with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia.
- Active social and recreation program
- Physiotherapy services
- Resident Council